Weight Tracker

Thursday, April 26, 2012

lapband talk friend died...

So I had to post because I was a little freaked out.  I am on lapbandtalk.com  a lot and one of the regulars 54Shirley died this weekend.  She last posted last week because she went into the ER because her band had slipped and the doctors told her it was strangling her lung.  They also told her that people that suffer from a slip usually don't make it....WTF I have never heard that.
She had gone into a series of seizures and says it is from the band..she said she died for 4 min in ER before they brought her back.  They told her the band is strangling the stomach which in turn has lower left lung engulfed and not functional.  I was shocked they let her go home without removing the band.
The clincher...the doctor told her that they are seeing more and more of people that have been banded for 5 plus years that have a 50/50 shot of failure or success...I never saw those statistics...then again the stats I got were from Allergan I guess they could lie...well I hope to find out more but sadly may never know because we are all usually a little anonymous.

8 comments:

Band Geek said...

Just to clarify....he died in the ER, they brought her back, and now she is at home recovering, or did she die, die? That is scary, either way.

Lap Band Gal said...

yikes. :(

RockBand Barbie said...

oh my...that is very scary

Vanessa said...

Wow, Scary.

DiZneDiVa said...

That's awful... I have been hearing alot of band horror stories lately.

Momee3021 said...

Ok this sounds a bit exaggerated? I'm not sure how your healthcare system works but I'm assuming that if something was killing me the Dr.'s would remove it ASAP?? I'm pretty sure that's what would happen here. I'm not saying I'm right I just think that there's more to the story than just a lapband slip. Sorry its not that I don't believe you but maybe she had something wrong before the band ever went in and its only been discovered because the band was there? I'm of the mindset that the weight would have killed me before anything else so I'm still hopeful for my band...???
maybe I'd have a different comment in a few years.

vickyd said...

I'm not very active on LBT but did have some contact with Shirley on there and she was one of my friends on MFP.

I do know that she was having some band complications but there are a few things to keep in mind...she had surgery quite a while ago with the older lapband (holds 4ccs), she also had some issues with her surgeon and was mistakenly told by him that her band was "blown" due to being overfilled and since she couldn't afford to replace it she went for a few years with no surgical followup and had finally found new surgeon who checked her band to find that it was fine and had started working with her to begin fills again. She also had some other health issues.

There has been a lot of talk that the band caused her death (some of it due to Shirley's last post on LBT) but right now those are just speculations...I'm not sure what happened but I think there may be more to it than we know...

MandaPanda said...

Very scary! But I caution you to not take it too much at face value. Like a couple of others have said, it sounds a bit exaggerated. Also, MOST people with slips turn out just fine, they just may have to have the band removed. I follow several bloggers who have slipped bands or even removed bands but none of them were near death. My guess is there are some underlying factors here. Just my 2 cents. I hope she's OK though...I think having the band CAN trigger some outside things to happen.